Moderator: Ninjee

How welcome are newbies at this "Friday Night Fight Night"?

slickrcbd

April 20th, 2018, 4:22 am #1

For the first time in a while I'm having Friday off instead of working late, and I might want to give the multiplayer feature a try. Would a relative newbie be welcome at these "Friday Night Fight Nights" I keep hearing about since I subscribed to this board?
I got Mechcommander only a couple years ago at a library "Book Sale", and have never done a network game. I've only played against the computer in the vanilla games.

I know I'll probably get my butt kicked, but you have to start somewhere.

Also, I have another question. Due to the age of the game, and problems I've had with other old games on 64-bit systems, I decided to install it on my old Dell Optiplex GX110 that dual-boots Windows 98SE and Windows XP. It only has a 1ghz processor and 512mb of RAM.
Should I install the game on a more modern system to participate in "Friday Night Fight Night"?
It performs fine without any slowdowns in single player mode but I've never tried net mode.

The computer between that old system and my first 64-bit computer (dual boots Vista and Windows 7, but I haven't booted Vista in years) died (the reason I didn't wait until Windows 7 came out) so it's the best 32-bit system I have.
Last edited by slickrcbd on April 20th, 2018, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

slickrcbd

April 22nd, 2018, 12:05 am #2

Well, I didn't make it. I overdid it on my bicycle Friday afternoon, and went to bed right after dinner and slept 13 hours. Now my legs are sore.
I'm out of shape from the winter. It was only 4.8 miles each way, but I REALLY need to get back into shape and exercise more. Twenty years ago I could and did ride 4.9 miles mostly uphill to community college without stopping (only in good weather, otherwise I drove), went to class, then came home.
Now I stopped to rest twice along that path and it is more level, and I'm completely exhausted. I've really let myself go. I'm a fat tub of lard, but that was part of the reason I started using the bike again.

Ninjee
Pro
Pro

April 22nd, 2018, 12:09 am #3

Keeping the dream alive!

^_^

decap

April 22nd, 2018, 7:37 am #4

friday night fight nights are the best
and everyone welcome
even noobs
and how games are balanced usually