How to Install MCG on Windows 7

Floisaho
Community Member
Community Member
Floisaho
Community Member
Community Member

Sep 03, 2012 #1

In onder to install MCG on win7 you have to manually install the files. You need either a copy of the cd or the ISO (which you can find in the downloads section of this website).

If you have win7 32 bit you will need to create a new folder inside program files named " Microprose ". Then open that folder and create a new folder inside it named " MCX ". It should look like this in the address bar C:\Program Files\Microprose\MCX. Then open the cd or ISO and copy/paste all the files from the cd to the MCX folder you created. Thats it! You should be ready to come play with us on GameRanger. If you have problems running single player try running the MCX.exe as administrator and in win XP sp2 compatability mode.

If you have win7 64 bit you will need to create a new folder inside program files (x86) named " Microprose ". Then open that folder and create a new folder inside it named " MCX ". It should look like this in the address bar C:\Program Files (x86)\Microprose\MCX. Then open the cd or ISO and copy/paste all the files from the cd to the MCX folder you created. Thats it! You should be ready to come play with us on GameRanger. If you have problems running single player try running the MCX.exe as administrator and in win XP sp2 compatability mode.
Last edited by Ninjee on 19:43 - May 05, 2017, edited 2 times in total.
White Power Bro!
Dislike

Gallen

Sep 20, 2012 #2

Followed the instructions for 64 bit installation. When I run MCX.exe (in compatibility mode) it just flashes between a black screen and Windows in a loop (like it's resizing). One time I was able to see the error message and it was something about "Unable to Set Display Mode" and "No .PDB file found"

Have tried every compatibility setting, no change in results.

There are other discussions around the internet suggesting this may be caused by a bad CD. I'm using Daemon Tools to mount the .iso file, could that be part of the issue?

Any way to force the display mode?
Dislike

Ninjee
Pro
Pro

Sep 20, 2012 #3

Well theres a number of things you could try, torrenting a different version of the game on Piratebay.org
Alt and Enter forces the Windowed mode for the game so do that a few times see if it fixes any issue.

As far as i know with playing this game online with us using windows 7, once you followed the instructions posted by one of our users. You dont have to install the game. as long as the files are copied over, so maybe try uninstalling it and doing it again in those steps. To my knowledge there is no way of forcing the display mode other than using alt and enter when the game is in autorun.

Hope this helps, and keep us updated please Gallen.

Cheers,
Legend B)

Keeping the dream alive!

^_^
Dislike

Jade Falcon: Darknight
Jade Falcon: Darknight

Sep 30, 2012 #4

Thanks !!!!The solution worked. I copied the files from the original Mechcommander Gold disk, ran like a champ.
Dislike

Vince
Vince

Dec 25, 2012 #5

In order to comeby the said error you need to modify the PREFS.cfg file located in the folder. You need to change the "b DirectDraw=TRUE" to "b DirectDraw=FALSE" this way the game will now run in windowed mode. and also if you want to be able to zoom mech commander tweak the Force32Mb setting into "b Force32Mb=TRUE". good luck and enjoy this classic :D

P.S. or you could just copy this modified PREFS.cfg file into the directory where you installed Mechcommander Gold don't worry it's clean scan it if you want :)
PREFS.cfg (240 Bytes)
Last edited by Ninjee on 19:42 - May 05, 2017, edited 3 times in total.
Dislike

Nov 14, 2015 #6

Hi Guys

I played for 2 hours after first download it ran awesome, no problems atall. Thanks for the info.

However i've hit a problem since closing the game and now wanting to play again, I've gone into the folder and clicked MCX.exe Like i did for teh first run.
but now its asking for a Disk... which I dont have. How do i solve this problem?
Dislike